Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Years Eve 2016

We had a very quiet conclusion to 2016, just the five of us and my in-laws, who came down from Maine for a combined Christmas-birthday-New Years Eve. In between opening presents and eating, quiet reigned. Toys were played with, books were read, and naps were taken.

I kept the menu simple, at least in theory -- having forgotten what a pain white sauce can be to make, I muffed it the first time and had to start over.
  • Prosciutto and Gruyere Pinwheels. These are mandatory for holidays at this point. So easy and so good. 
  • Seafood Macaroni and Cheese. I indulged my weakness for crab here, which was fantastic albeit pricey. 
  • Salad of Winter Greens, Walnuts, Roasted Beets, and Goat Cheese. Whew. Really tasty and easy to throw together while the macaroni bakes.
  • For wine I put myself in the hands of the liquor store employee who intercepted me at the door - I know my limits. She directed me with supreme confidence to Falanghina, which I have never heard of before. What little I know about wine does not extend to Italian varieties. We had a bottle from Terredora Dipaolo, and one from San Salvatore, and they went very well with the meal.
Most of us made it to midnight and watched the ball drop via internet stream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment