Saturday, January 14, 2017

New Recipes - 2017 Week 2

As national politics threatens to become ever more chaotic, I have responded by a) paying closer attention to the news than I used to and b) nesting furiously, well aware that this is no real defense, and not much of a psychological one, even.

It's what I've got, so I'm going with it. Traditionally at the start of the year, too, I fling energy into "projects." I set wildly unlikely goals on Goodreads, renew my determination to lose that ten pounds, write down everything I do as a form of encouragement -- and I decide, again, that I should try more new recipes. I managed three last week, and today a sick 6yo is keeping us housebound and quiet, so I thought I would take a moment to write them up.
  • Red Lentil and Spinach Tikka Masala - I did an unusual thing and made this on a night when no one but me would eat it. It's easy to make and provides generous portions (I still have some in the freezer). Will definitely make it again.
  • Fresh Orange Scones - I'm not sure if I did something wrong when I made these. My dough did not look anything like that pictured, but was quite crumbly. This made them much like another scone recipe I make all the time. They tasted fine, and the glaze was really good, but I might have to mess with a bit and see if I can figure out why the difference. I still like Panera better.
  • Tuscan Chicken Skillet - Another dinner-time hit, easy enough for a weeknight and almost ridiculously flavorful. 
 Even if I don't make any other new recipes in 2017, I'm happy to have made these experiments. Things fall apart, but at least we're eating well.

No comments:

Post a Comment