King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion
3 c (12 3/4 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 c (7 oz) sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c milk
5 1/3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs slightly, then add the milk and melted butter.
3. Add the wet mixture to the well in the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened.
4. Line or lightly grease 12 muffin cups. Fill about three-quarters full.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until muffins are golden and springy when touched.
6. While the muffins are baking, combine the sugar and cinnamon topping in a small, shallow bowl. When the muffins come out of the oven, let them cool just until you can pick them up. Dip the tops in the melted butter, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.